Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Christmas Outfits Continued...

Now that I had Eliza's Dress (see previous post), I had to figure out what the rest of us were going to wear!

So I used a pattern I had for a simple pleated skirt for me. Full disclosure: this pattern was clearly made for someone without a butt. I cut it 2 sizes bigger then I wear, but it still came up so high in the back, I had to make alterations.

I made my skirt in the same manner as Eliza's dress. I cut out the pieces and followed the directions for sewing. It was basically 4 pieces, pleated and sewn. I added some of the taffeta from Eliza's dress to the bottom and here it is...


I bypassed the zipper for an elastic panel in the back just to make sure would cover my butt well enough. The problem with the zipper and waistband was that it made it sit very high up my lower back. With the elastic I was able to wear it lower, thus covering everything. 

 I wasn't too worried about lining up the plaids, since it is a pleated skirt, it would just look like any other pleat. Plus, its just for pictures, so who cares?!

I had a nice black knit top I was planning on pairing this with, so for now, my outfit is done!

Moving on to my son...

He already had black pants, and a white button down shirt, so my next stop was to find him a tie. I went to my local thrift store and found a boy's clip on tie for $.99. I took it apart, and traced the shape onto my fabric. I cut it out and hot glued it to the "clip" part of the clip on tie. Again, its just for pictures, so it doesn't have to hold up well.


While at the thrift store, I also found a black vest. It was a little "linty" so I took a lint roll and cleaned it up. So Riely's outfit was done, for under $3!

Now, I was running out of fabric and I still needed something for my husband. We borrowed a plain black sweater from a friend and I didn't really want a tie for him. So I decided to make a "collar" to pop out of the top of the sweater.

So I took one of his shirts, and laid it on top of the fabric. I traced the shape of the collar, with a little extra for a seam allowance.


Once I had the shape, I cut out some interfacing to put in between to make it stiff and sewed it. I left some of the raw edge below to pin it to his t-shirt. 

Here are the looks hanging up (minus my husband's since I hadn't finished when I took the picture).

Total cost: $26
Total time: Eliza's dress=3 hours, My skirt=1 hour, Riely's Tie and Rod's collar=1 hour (total 5 hours)

And here are my little angels....
 And the family picture....
 Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment