Thursday, January 12, 2012

Butterfly Garden Collage

I was really excited when I turned the page and saw that projects 13-18 were a Butterfly Garden Collage. I am planning on taking the kids to the Tucson Botanical Garden's Butterfly Magic exhibit next week, and this is a great prep-project for them.

The idea is to cut out different butterflies, bugs and flowers, and make a giant collage. Since Riely is only 3, he's not so skilled with the cutting. So I used my Slice cutting machine and cut out a ton of different sized and shaped butterflies.

Project List:
13- Basic Butterfly
14- Perching Butterfly
15- Dragonfly
16- Make A Bug
17- Bee
18- Flowers
I will start by showing you a picture of the book. The idea is to cute out the shapes of the butterflies, etc, color them, and then glue them together to make a scene.

Like I said, I used my cutting machine and cut out a bunch first.

Then I put a big piece of paper down on the table. I told Riely to start my coloring grass. (love that my kid does crafts in his underwear, just like mama).
 Next, I asked him where he wanted me to glue them down. I thought it best to keep the glue in my hands for this project. After they were placed, he decorated them with patterns, added leaves and stems to the flowers.


He really enjoyed decorating the wings on the butterflies (and the fact that he could sit on the table)


Here is our final project (I numbered them according to project number). 

I was really happy with this one, and I think Riely enjoyed it. I taped it to the wall a crawling height, and Eliza keeps crawling over and looking at them. And Riely is really proud showing off his art work!

Thanks for reading and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment